Deadline: 6th January 2023 at 23:55
A fixed term, freelance opportunity for a community cultural worker with experience in the voluntary sector. The project runs from February to June 2023, establishing, and creating opportunities for public engagement with, the Granton History Hub archive.
Approx. 1 day, or 2 half days per week, with some additional days as needed by the project)
Fee: £175 per day (based on 7hrs @ £25ph) for 26 days in total.
TO submit: Please send a CV with a covering email describing why you’d like this role and what you feel you’d bring to it to:
We aim to interview shortlisted candidates within a week or two of the deadline.
granton:hub is a friendly arts and community hub in North Edinburgh where people can meet, participate, learn, create and enjoy a range of great activities. Our base is the beautiful and historic Madelvic House, a space that’s closely linked with Granton’s rich industrial heritage.
Filling the GAP (Granton Archive Project) is a short-term project funded through The Creative Cultural Hubs’ community commissioning grant. Creative Community Hubs is a project led by WHALE arts to establish a network of creative community hubs across Edinburgh.
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
The ‘Filling the GAP’ projects aims to establish the Granton history hub archive as a cultural asset for the community, and to engage the community in creative activity inspired by our history. Our history hub members have a great deal of grassroots knowledge about the area, and the Granton history:hub archive holds a wide range of documents, pictures, audio and video resources which record the social and cultural heritage of the area. We know that we have a lot of valuable materials here – and that there is a lot more out there to be found and documented.
The development worker will have a key role in supporting existing history hub members with the cataloguing and expansion of the archive, as well as engaging with people new to Granton: hub and creating opportunities for their involvement in the project.
Engagement with the members of the hub and wider community will be a key part of this role. Together we will identify topics from the archive for future activities and exhibitions at the hub. As part of the Filling the GAP funding, Granton: hub will commission an artist to run two workshops inspired by the archive, and a public exhibition.
You will take the lead on ‘Filling the GAP’ project, working alongside trustees and volunteers.
- Support existing history hub members with the cataloguing and expansion of the Granton archive.
- Reach out and engage with people new to Granton: hub and create opportunities for their involvement in the project.
- Work with Granton:hub volunteers and trustees to design and arrange 2 creative workshops inspired by the archive, alongside a commissioned artist.
- Work with Granton: hub communications volunteers to advertise materials from the archive via social media.
- Produce a report that will identify the digital and online requirements to make the archive fully accessible and support long term data curation and preservation.
- Collaborate and learn from other hubs in Edinburgh, attend and engage with CCH meetings and network opportunities.
- Alongside Granton:hub volunteers and trustees, to help arrange a final exhibition, showcasing the results of the project.
The work can be done flexibly in a pattern that suits both you and the project. We expect that you will spend at least one half day most weeks in Granton:hub (Madelvic House) itself. You will have office space and access to wifi, kitchen facilities and IT equipment if needed.
Essential Skills & Experience
- Experience designing, delivering and evaluating programmes of activity in a community setting.
- Skilled in engaging and working collaboratively with a range of audiences.
- Confident writing project reports.
- Confident managing budgets.
- Ability to work independently and take initiative.
Desirable Skills & Experience
- Experience working or volunteering with a member-based organisation.
- Experience in recruiting and supporting volunteers
- Experience working with a community archive and/or community arts projects
- Knowledge and interest in the Granton area and its heritage
For further information, please email: email@example.com
Location: Edinburgh City