Granton:hub is a friendly arts and community hub in North Edinburgh where people can meet, participate, learn, create and enjoy a range of great activities. Our base is the beautiful and historic Madelvic House, a space that’s closely linked with Granton’s rich industrial heritage. We have a growing archive of materials and objects connected to the history of the local area; and are home to a community garden that’s open for all to visit and enjoy.
We are currently an entirely volunteer-run organisation and are looking for more enthusiastic people to help us make the hub a thriving local space for arts, heritage, creativity and environment.
We are looking for an enthusiastic and skilled individual to join our existing board of trustees as secretary. The secretary will be responsible for supporting the chair in the smooth and efficient running of our monthly meetings. They also have a key role in ensuring that our activities are in line with the SCIO’s constitution, and with our legislative and regulatory requirements. The secretary will be a key member of our board of trustees, and take an active role in decision making, governance and development of Granton: hub.
- Support the chair in the smooth running of monthly board meetings.
- Prepare accurate and efficient minutes.
- Support the board to ensure that all meetings and activities comply with the requirements of our constitution.
- Maintain our membership register in line with our constitution.
- Other occasional tasks associated with the role of trustee.
Skills and Qualities
Essential qualities for this role are:
- Confident IT skills.
- Clear and confident written communication skills.
- Excellent organisational skills.
Desirable knowledge and experience includes:
- Knowledge of SCIO / charity governance.
- Secretarial experience.
- A local knowledge of the Granton area.
An interest in the activities and purpose of Granton: Hub is essential.
We are looking for someone who can commit to about two hours a week, on an ongoing basis.
Location of volunteering
Granton:hub is located in Madelvic House at Granton Park Avenue. You will occasionally need to attend meetings and events at the hub. Our board meetings currently take place online, once a month on a weekday evening. You will also take an active role in our Annual General Meetings, which take place at the hub.
Granton: hub is currently an entirely volunteer run organisation. You will be given a full induction by the existing trustees. Additional training may be available through EVOC if desired.You will have the support of other trustees and volunteers at the hub.
What’s in it for me?
- Be part of a small, friendly voluntary team.
- Provide vital support to a local charity.
- The opportunity to gain valuable experience, providing secretarial support to a valued and respected community hub.
- A position where your current skills will be valued, and lots of opportunities to develop new skills and experience.
*Granton:hub’s charitable purposes are:
- To advance the arts by exhibiting and encouraging community involvement in creating art in various forms.
- To advance heritage by preserving and repurposing historic Madelvic House as a thriving artist/maker based community hub.
- To advance culture by encouraging integration of different sectors within the local community through film, exhibitions, talks and community initiated events.
- To advance education through provision of a variety of workshops, films, talks and awareness raising activities.
- To advance environmental protection and improvement through promoting recycling/upcycling and sustainability awareness and developing a community garden.
- To provide a broad range of recreational activities. The hub will provide a welcoming space for people to meet and learn new skills.
How to apply
Please send an email to email@example.com:
- Describe your skills and experience for the role
- Tell us about your interest in granton:hub’s work
- Tell us your current availability and contact details
You may also include a CV, if you wish.